Sunday, September 6, 2015

Breaking the Stigma



This video and my own personal experiences inspired this post:

I don’t have to say it, but I will there is a stigma with mental illness. There is this belief that it’s all in your head, and that you can just shake it off. I can’t tell you the number of times I was told that my anxiety problems were nothing but a “bad day”, or that I just needed to “get out more.” You wouldn’t tell someone with a broken leg to just “walk it off” so why would you tell someone suffering from depression to just smile more?

I think the answer to this question is simple, and it’s because mental illness is, in essence all in our head. It’s something intangible, you can see when someone has the flu, or a broken leg, they visibly look sick, but for a large percentage of those of mental illness we simply don’t look sick. I know there are exceptions to this rule, and that there are people who do show physical signs of mental illness, but a larger majority of people are high functioning and show no physical or outward signs of their illness. If someone sneezes we give them a tissue, we may even make them chicken soup, but we can’t take that same route for someone with mental illness, there is no tissue that can wipe away depression, nor is there soup that can repair a chemical misfire that makes one manic.

There is also the medical community, having a mental illness is a difficult road to navigate. First there is insurance, assuming you have some, you have to find out if it covers mental health services. That’s the first negative, the first way we treat mental illness different from physical illness. I don’t go to my doctor and wonder if they’re going to cover the flu, or be concerned if I broke my leg that suddenly I wouldn’t be able to get coverage anymore. This however is how it can feel for someone with mental illness, they wonder first if they can get treatment, and then they wonder if the medication prescribed for that treatment will be covered under their prescription drug plans. Now if you don’t have insurance or are dependent on state or federally sponsored programs this can be an even trickier road to navigate. Medicaid is the largest payer for behavioral health services in the country, but low state reimbursement rates drive providers away from the program. Leaving coverage gaps that can prevent someone from getting the care that they need.

Then sometimes it is the patient themselves that gets in the way, I know this one from personal experience. I was sick a long time before I got diagnosed and there were times when I told myself that there was nothing wrong with me or that I could handle it myself. This is where the stigma is the worse, because we can truly be our own worst enemies.  I remember a day I went to see my primary doctor and was talking about my panic attacks and he gave me this questionnaire to fill out and one of the questions was something like do you ever feel like things are going crazy, and I looked at him and said “doesn’t everyone feel that way sometimes?” and he said no, and told me that I was probably suffering from some depression. I remember feeling like my world just collapsed, “Me, depression, no way.” I thought. I drove home thinking I couldn’t be depressed, I was happy and even if I was depressed I didn’t need pills I just needed to be happier. It was two months later that I had my first suicide attempt and my eyes were opened that I couldn’t go this road alone. Several years and several diagnoses later I look back at that experience and see that I looked at mental illness with a stigma, with a fear that I would be one of “those people”, but I now know that’s not true. Now I am just another person who has a mental illness. I look just like the “normal” people.

It’s time to break the cycle, the cycle of stigma. It’s time for those of us with mental illnesses to stand tall, to show that were not a stereotype, that were not dangerous, that were not all criminals, to show that we have families, and finally to show that we are more than our illness. I don’t introduce myself as a person with a mental illness, I merely introduce myself as me. There is no asterisk next to my name that redirects to some fine print that says: has a mental illness. It’s time for us to show that for every misconception there is someone holding down a job, for every piece of misinformation there is a mother or father raising a family, and for every time someone says “those people” there is a friend or a lover who is just trying to make it through the day.

So if you are struggling don’t be afraid to reach out, to a friend, a family member, or medical professional. There’s nothing to be afraid of, and it’s not your fault, the brain is a funny place, and a few chemical misfires can cause strange things to happen. Thankfully medical science has come a long way and whether its therapy or psychopharmacology there’s something out there that can help you. The biggest, and greatest thing that I can tell you is that you’re not alone there is a world filled with people that are having experiences similar to yours, and there are places to reach out to find people who will understand.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
1 (800) 273-8255
Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week
Languages: English, Spanish

National Alliance of Mental illness

This video is also inspiring:


No comments:

Post a Comment