Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Being There



Today is the last day of Suicide Awareness Month, so I thought I would leave on a personal note. Something happened to me last night that inspired this post. I was chatting with a friend on Skype when she casually tells me “see you next time, I’m ODing tonight” to which I responded on “on what?” and she said “Pills and Booze.” At first I thought she was being sarcastic, but a short bit of conversation and I knew she was serious. At that point I switched into Mother Bear mode and was going to protect my cub at all cost. This friend and I have known each other for over 15 years and we have been through a lot together, and honestly I can’t imagine my life without her.
              
               We must have gone back and forth for over 45 minutes arguing about how her life was worth living, but I was going to do anything to prevent her from swallowing those pills. At one point she told me that she “prayed for death” and me, who is usually pretty emotionless felt a sadness that I just can’t relate in words. There is part of me that understands the grip that Mental Illness holds on a person, the thoughts that it makes you think, and the things that just seem like a good idea. So as much as her thoughts saddened me I could understand where she was coming from. In the time that I battled with her demons I was reminded of how I felt during my own attempt.

               My friend also highlights the stigma behind mental illness because she feels sometimes that doesn’t need help and can go it alone. She would probably be very angry at me for sharing this story, but I think that it is one that needs to be told, because it is proof that you can’t go it alone. You need a battle buddy to help you through the rough times, and professional help to get you through the everyday. That when you are in crisis it is okay to reach out for a helping hand. My friend is alive, thanks to passing out before she could swallow the pills, but she is still a stubborn mule who refuses to reach out for the proper help, but I know I will always be there for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment