Monday, August 24, 2015

Dear Gay People



Dear Gay People,

To my people I stand before you with a message: Stop asking Christians to make your shit. Stop asking them to make your cakes, host your weddings, or do anything for you. Let them be bigoted, and unhappy off in their little Christian corners, and we can be happy in the rest of the world. Now I am probably in the minority here, but I would rather someone put a sign on their front window that says “No Gays Allowed” than frequent an establishment of someone who doesn’t want me there.

Now you may think that this is wrong to say and that I am discouraging equal rights, no I want equal rights, but I also think that I want to know when someone doesn’t want me in their establishment. I also don’t want to give my money to someone who could potentially use it to further their bigotry. In a perfect world I wouldn’t need the Supreme Court to tell me it’s okay to get married or laws protecting me from getting fired from my job just because of who I fall in love with. In a perfect world Christians would see that Jesus would love all people and would jumping up and down to embrace the LGBT community. This however this is not a perfect world, we did need the Supreme Court in order to get married, and we do need laws so we don’t get fired from our jobs because of who we love.

I know that some of us may want to fly our flags, and proudly chant “we’re here, we’re queer, get used to it” but the reality of the situation is no matter how loudly we chant, no matter how many laws we pass, no matter how many Supreme Court rulings we get a large majority of Christians are never going to accept us. I mean even with the Supreme Court ruling we can’t even get them to hand us a piece of paper, and if we can’t ask them as civil servants to hand you a piece of paper across a desk how we can ask them to bake a cake? Now I’m not taking their side in all of this, I’m just looking at this situation rationally. A leopard can’t change its spots. These people have been indoctrinated their entire lives to believe something is wrong, a law, a ruling, or a court order isn’t likely to change their minds so we are essentially in a staring contest where no one’s going to blink. So why not let them go off to their own little corner and let them hate us. We can flock to Bakers, florist, or hardware stores that actually want us there.

Just as an establishment may decide to hang a rainbow flag in their window to show that they are at LGBT friendly let the Christians find their own symbol to hang in their windows to show they are just the opposite, call it freedom of religion or expression. Let them lose the business of us and our allies, let their little symbol become a symbol of hate, of bigotry. Let this theoretical symbol come to stand for a person who doesn’t understand something as simple as love, and the fact that you don’t get to choose who you love. Whether this symbol will be a flag or a simple sign that says “no gays allowed” it will come to stand for ignorance, it will come to stand for hatred. So let them stand out in a crowd as ignorant, as “haters”, and as the misinformed.


                                                                                                                                                                Sincerely,
                                                                                                                                                                      Raven

No comments:

Post a Comment